*** The next Hatbox Theatre Readings will take place in March 2018.
Readings at the Hatbox Theatre in Concord is a series NHWP began for its members in 2016. This is a semi-regular event where actors read entertaining selections from ‘works in progress’ by three NHWP authors, and the audience offers feedback, critique, and reactions.
This event will not only allow the author to “hear” some of their novel, story, or book, but also receive immediate feedback. The audience will experience new works from NH authors live and contribute directly to the creative process of a grateful author.
All Hatbox Reading events are free for NHWP MEMBERS, but $10.00 for the General Audience (+ $1.50 for reserving tickets in advance). As a member of NHWP you will recieve an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a passcode ahead of each reading which you will need to use when reserving your tickets. The passcode is entered at the end of the online registration process and will zero out the cost. Refreshments along with stimulating conversation will be provided during intermission. Come enjoy the arts in Concord’s new theater space, the Hatbox Theatre!
To take part in a future Hatbox Readings Program as an author:
PLEASE NOTE: We will prioritize the submissions of authors who have attended other Hatbox Reading nights, since we believe that if you would like the feedback and support from a Hatbox audience for your work, you should have in turn provided feedback and support for the work of others. The workshop is for NHWP members only.
The NHWP Programming Committee will attempt to arrange a balanced program for each event, which may include genre-specific nights. Hatbox Readings are geared toward authors who have a complete manuscript and are at the “beta reader” stage (i.e. a full draft is done that you have already gotten some feedback on). The manuscript should have gone through several drafts and edits before it is shared with an audience.
An actor will read 10-20 minutes of their work. A feedback session will follow allowing the audience to provide comments, and ask questions of the author. Authors are encouraged to submit the beginning of their book or story (to test-run a section prospective agents and editors would likely request) or to submit another significant scene or chapter of their work.
As a participant you will receive:
• Editorial feedback from the Producer, Masheri Chappelle, and Editorial Assistant, Lyndsay Ulin, so that you can make final revisions before the reading.
• The opportunity to work with your actor before the performance.
To apply for this program, please send an email with your submission as an attachment (.doc or .docx only) to the Hatbox Reading program and have in the Subject line “Hatbox Readings Submission”. Please note, the document you send is a chapter (or part of a chapter) you would like read, not your entire manuscript! It should be double spaced. Readings should last between 10-20 minutes, which is up to about 10,000 words. We will need to be strict on timekeeping to allow enough time for all the authors to participate. It may be better to keep the submission under 20 minutes to allow more discussion time with the audience.
Once your submission is selected:
• You will be notified that you have been selected to participate in the workshop.
• Your submission will be read by the Hatbox Producer and Editorial Assistant, and they will set up a meeting to provide you with constructive editorial comments.
• You will be assigned an actor (you can decide male or female).
• A week before the performance date you will be connected with your actor/actress via telephone or email for Q&A.
• A week before you will also be connected with the other authors and discuss the intermission snacks that the three of you will be asked to provide for the event. (Keep it simple and bite size, i.e. cheese and crackers, fruit on skewers, cookies, other baked goods, iced tea, lemonade, soda, etc. You will also need to arrange for cocktail napkins, small paper plates, and cups. No alcoholic beverages, please.)
• The day of the event, please arrive at 5pm sharp to meet your actor and the other authors, and to allow time to set up the intermission table.
• The Producer and Editorial Assistant will meet with you 10 minutes before the start of the show and inform you of the order of the readings.
• Enjoy the show and supportive feedback from the audience!
This program is open to all members in good standing of the NHWP.
November 5, 2017
THE LEGEND OF OH HENRY by Liane LaRochelle
SADIE AND IRVING FIX THE WORLD by Jewel Beth Davis
THE WITCH’S BEAST by Karl Hutchins
September 10, 2017
ON SEEING THE ELEPHANT by Tammi Truax
THE WATER RABBIT by Claudia Altemus
BAR NONE by Peggy McFarland
May 14, 2017
RUBEN’S WEB by Julie Schappals
THE FAR SIDE OF VEGAS by Daniel Ellison
A VICIOUS PIXIE by K. Dalton Barrett
March 12, 2017
NAILS: A TALE OF JAPAN by Ian Rogers
BUT I ALREADY SAID GOODBYE by Wendy Jensen
A HOUSE DIVIDED by Ed Jacobs
December 11, 2016
VIRTUOUS WOMEN by Karen Goltz
CINDY by Josh Bresslin
WHEREFROM by Mary Downes
July 17, 2016
THE ORACLE FILES: ESCAPE by Masheri Chappelle
THE SHADOW OVER PORTSMOUTH by Jeff Deck
A MURDER OF CROWS ON THE WALL by Gary M Devore